So there it is, the next expansion for the World of Warcraft. My first thought? “Oh God, the rumour was true.” Much like those that came before, the trailer is great with much love in the first minute of the video. It makes you feel a great deal of pride. But then comes what’s new.
- Pandaria: the continent delivers visually, no questions asked. I like pretty much everything I see.
- New Race -Pandaren: Ugh. I know people right now love this. I’m not knocking them for that, I just did not want to see the Pandaren as a playable race.
- New Class -Monk: I’ve always felt if the game was going to add another class, this would be it. This has potential as a cloth tank/heals/dps class.
- Level Cap 90: This one’s a no-brainer really. If you thought otherwise, for shame.
- Challenge Mode Dungeons: Cataclysm Heroic Dungeons have not been popular, I can only imagine what people might think of this in name alone.
- PvE Scenarios: No idea what this is, or how it could work but it does intrigue me.
- Pet Battle System: Not really sure how this one’s going to work either.
- New Talent System: I expected this regardless of expansion news. Blizzard wasn’t necessarily disappointed with the current state of talents, but they’ve been very vocal about wanting it to be better.
In a nutshell, my first reaction isn’t a negative necessarily. Simply that if the game came out tomorrow, and the trailer is all that I had seen, I would not be getting it. It simply is not for me based on what I see here. In fact, with Star Wars two months away and the rest of the industry seemingly making ground on the mountain of Azeroth, I admittedly expected more.
I won’t be screaming this is the end of World of Warcraft or anything like that (yes, I’ve already seen it said) because that would just be blind ignorance, but I have to think I’m not the only one who found the news a bit flat. Remember, though, I’m basing this just on the trailer. I don’t have access to the details that were announced (though I did catch your Pandaren could be a part of either faction), but I plan to feast on as much as I can between now and tomorrow when I will follow up to these knee jerk thoughts.