The beauty of these series of posts, is finding items I never would’ve known existed otherwise. When it comes to Polearms, the ones I’ve had have been “meh”-tacular at best. Aside from one or two that I knew of, I figured they were the blandest weapon in the game. Couldn’t be more wrong, as not only are there some great skins…I could not eliminate one of my final choices. As such, this is the first Top 5 that is actually a top six!
6. The Orca-Hunter’s Harpoon has a decent look on its own, but it’s the animation effect that goes with it that brings it to the upper tier of polearms. Stationary it looks solid, but it’s even better when swung. I chose this model over the Cryptfiend’s Bite as most folks would prefer to not visit Heigan in Naxx, let alone on 25 man.
5. Everyone loves a good scythe, right? The Witch-Hunter’s Harvester represents them well here. While there are a few out there, this is one of the ones that looks amazing. In one light, it looks ice-like and in another it could be blue dragon. What sets it higher on the list than most is the ease of acquiring. You simply need a Blacksmith that has the recipe (and it’s the only crafted item on today’s list).
4. Black Ice brings us the look associated with The Burning Crusade, but it’s not actually from that expansion. This somewhat axe-looking polearm actually drops from Malygos (10-man). I can honestly say there isn’t another polearm in the game that looks like this, and a unique look that pops will always get recognized.
3. Here’s a genuine Burning Crusade item, Terokk’s Quill. While it is a quest reward, it requires you to go into Sethekk Halls. At least you know there’s no worry about it not dropping. This is more polearm looking in general than the rest, and rings of the old Dark Iron items of Vanilla WoW. It even shares the same skin as the Blood-Tempered Ranseur, though that item’s no longer in the game. So unless you were a packrat, the quest is the way to go.
2. Auchindoun gives us another option for a great polearm, with the Sonic Spear. Like the rest, it’s very unique and the ice/light enchant effect only enhances it’s look. The illumination makes it stand out at all times, so if this is the one for you then head into Shadow Labrynth and farm Murmur for it.
1. The Hellreaver. Simple as that. Anyone who’s had it, or seen it, will tell you it’s the best polearm. Heck, it’s one of the best weapon skins in the game period. Just ask someone like Ratshag. It’s big, it’s bad, and it drops from the chest in regular Hellfire Ramparts after you kill Nazan and Vazruden.