It’s that time of the week again, and weapons continue to get the spotlight (and probably will until I finish them off). This week and next week will be two parts again, as we take a look at the best bludgeoners out there, Maces. This week it’s the two-handed variety and there are plenty to choose from. To give you even more options, I noticed many of the different designs even have different color models to suit your fancy.
Right off the bat, I need to make an honorable mention. I would have included this in the top 5 if not for the fact that it is Alliance exclusive. I thought about doing a Horde exclusive one with it, but there wasn’t one that really jumped out at me and I didn’t want to “include for the sake of including.” So Alliance Paladins, you really owe it to yourself to get Warhammer of the Order. It’s a class quest reward and in terms of Mace (or in this case Warhammer), it’s phenomenal (especially for you RP folk). Getting that gem out of the way, let’s look at the list shall we?
5. Blood Knight Maul. Both vibrant and unique looking, this is one of the few times there’s an Uncommon (green) item on any of my lists. Unfortunately, that also makes acquiring it a bit unpredictable. They drop in Outland content, though the most looted mob is the Phantom Guest in Karazhan. If you’re running any Outland stuff, keep an eye out for it. Otherwise it might be wise to just have Undermine Journal alert you to when there’s one on your Auction House.
4. I’m betting many people would put Hammer of the Naaru higher on their list, if for no other reason than it’s appearance in the Burning Crusade cinematic. I’ll admit, that’s part of why it’s even on the list is “fame” but also it’s all about unique. When you see this weapon, you know exactly what it is and it is still a great looking “Mace.” You can find it in Gruul’s Lair as it drops from High King Maulgar.
3. Sulfuras, The Extinguished Hand will no doubt have people swearing at me because of having to kill Ragnaros to get it. It’s the only Cataclysm item on the list, and yes having to hit Firelands to get it might be frustrating. But, as you can see, if it drops it’s most certainly worth the effort. Flaming Mace pretty much speaks for itself, doesn’t it?
2. The Unstoppable Force. Until I began compiling this list, I’d never seen this weapon before and it surprises me because it’s eye catching and so unique not only to the Mace slot but to gear in general. The sleek ebon design, and the dark essence coming off it just looks so vile. On its own the weapon is nasty, but compliment it with a solid gear outfit and you could basically be an avatar of death….a bludgeoning and painful death at that.
1. It’s my penchant for dragons that makes the choice of Draconic Maul a bit biased. But, when I can scroll through pages of weapons and have to stop to admire one then there has to be some merit to the decision. It’s colors are similar to numbers three and five on today’s list, but the design stands out for me. It takes a bit of The Unstoppable Force, which makes sense as both are from Vanilla WoW (this one drops in Blackwing Lair) so models are going to be similar. I think it’s the fact it could be carried by a healer or someone wanting to club your skull in that does it for me. Let’s hear it for universal appeal.
As is always the case, the list is subject to preference. There were a few more Maces that easily could have made the list and you may like them more, but this is how I see things in terms of which five are the absolute best. Feel free to come back next week to see which one-handed versions rank the highest.