Before you even ask, yes this spawned directly from Mog Madness and its success. With the London Olympics soon to begin, I thought why not have a little olympics of our own in the Transmog community? Due to the nature of the contest, I’m giving a lengthy deadline to submit your entries, July 31st. To participate in the event, you’re required to make TEN outfits.
The first outfit will be for your country. Well, in this case it’s your faction and you are creating your “flagbearer”. Upon confirming your entry, I will randomly assign you the faction you’re representing for the games (because “Earthen Ring” looks better in the standings than “JD Kenada”). So if you receive Sporeggar, your flagbearer’s outfit would include their tabard. Let me clarify, though, this is the only outfit where you’re required to use the colours of your faction. This is also for appearance only, there’s no medal for this portion of the Mogolympics. The main reason is some will have an easier time than others because of tabard diversity. The nine actual medal events are as follows:
- Archery – Build an outfit around your favourite bow.
- Cycling – Build a biker outfit to compliment the Chopper. It must be either Leather or Mail.
- Discus – Build an outfit around one of the shield skins seen here
- Equestrian – Build an outfit to compliment one of the horse mounts in the game. (Faction limitations apply, so no Orcs on a Stormwind pony)
- Fencing – Time for some swordplay. Build your best outfit around the 1h sword of your choice.
- Javelin – Build an outfit around the polearm of your choice.
- Hammer Throw – Build an outfit around your favourite two-handed hammer.
- Wrestling – We’re going to deviate from olympic wrestling and go to the sports entertainment aspect instead. Using one of the “championship” belts, design your own Azerothian pro wrestler. Think of the oversized belts, such as the Firemend Cinch seen here.
- Freestyle – Build your own NPC. Could be an innkeeper, could be the Green Orc Lantern. Doesn’t matter.
Those are the events, so what are the details you ask?
- There is NO limit on the number of participants.
- 9 competition outfits. At least 5 different races must be used, never repeating the same gender/race combo (if you use Blood Elf Male for Javelin, you can’t make a Blood Elf Male for Discus. You could however make it female so long as you aren’t submitting a Blood Elf Female in any other event). Your flagbearer combo may be used in a competition event.
- Your event entry must be able to use the outfit as a proper end-game transmog (so no Gnomes in Shaman gear or Goblin Rogues entering the discus)
- Include the gear you used for each outfit please (the judges can peg many articles from in-game, but can’t always tell what everything is).
- All entries are to be submitted at once. Send the screenshots to email@example.com
- As per Mog Madness, MogIt and ModelViewer entries are welcome.
- We’ll reveal three events a week for three weeks, beginning August 12th. Medals will be handed out accordingly.
- I have set no criteria for fellow judges (still confirming who the official judges will be). They will simply give their rankings based on their own thoughts. However, they’ll not know who they’re voting on (it will be labelled as Outfit D, rather than “Tome,” for example).
- The winner will have received the most medals in the nine events.
A page has been added to the sub-header bar so you can easily find the latest information at any time without having to search for it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, let the games begin!
In terms of entering and the flagbearer, simply post that you want to enter (or e-mail me). I will tell you your faction (after essentially drawing it from a hat) that you will be representing and you’ll create your flagbearer, which you will send in as part of your entry.
There are 86 factions in WoW (according to WoWhead), however the ones with tabards are just a few more than 50. If there end up being more competitors than tabards, factions may end up with more than one representative. Each competitor is still to submit their own flagbearer.
**note the second**
I have rescinded the request that flag bearers not be posted on your blog. A couple of people had already done so before I added the addendum and as such I am simply removing it. As I mentioned to Kamalia, the countries tend to show off their gear prior to the Games anyway. I apologize to those briefly inconvenienced.